Dear parents and carers
We are committed to ensuring that your child is learning as much as possible and are working hard to provide activities that will keep this happening. We will be communicating this work via the school website during this time. We will be adding details and support to this website regularly. Also, make sure that you keep active and use the outdoors when and if you can. We’re really going to miss working with you and can’t wait to see all your amazing work in your books when you return to school!
If you have any questions or concerns please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep well, stay safe and look after each other.
The Year 5 team.
What we’d like you to do:
- We will add Maths and English activity ideas for your child every day. You will see a daily fluency activity and some maths activities taken from ‘Power Maths’. If you look at the Power Maths lesson, it will include advice on what methods your child needs to use. You will see ‘challenge’ activities that are – well - challenging! Some of your children may choose to attempt these activities, others may need a little help from you. We will be adding additional videos and/or presentations to support your children as they learn.
- English activities will be posted daily as well. We will include 3 reading activities and 3+ writing or grammar activities each week. These are loosely planned on what we would be teaching over the next fortnight.
- Your child knows well the expectations we have regarding presentation and handwriting. Please remind them that these still apply. Handwriting will be a focus of your child’s daily diary-writing
- Spellings for this term will be on the class page. Use them to revise previous weeks and learn the next week’s words.
- We have already sent home your child with three banded reading books and a class library book. Please encourage your child to read every day and continue recording their reading in their Reading Diary; this is still an expectation. Whilst we know that your child will spend time reading independently, we would really appreciate your monitoring and reading with your child sometimes. Also, use the libraries whilst they are still open!
- Our topic web is on the class page. Look at it for further ideas of our focus for this term.
- We also recommend you use the following websites: N.B. User names and passwords are inside the front cover of your child’s Home/School book.
More Maths websites:
Useful websites for finding out more about Anglo-Saxons and Vikings:
And finally….. We have some topic ideas you may like to explore with your child. We will be providing more examples and supportive ideas for these activities
- Make either an Anglo-Saxon or a Viking 3D long house, including fixtures and fittings, out of a small box, e.g. shoebox.
- Find out more about the Norse Gods, who lived in Asgard. Computing
- Use Tinkercad to create a Viking artefact, e.g. a weapon, a helmet, a long house, a long boat etc. Art
- Create an Anglo Saxon broach. Either, sketch a draft design, then draw it adopting the Anglo-Saxon style, or using a cardboard cut-out base, cover with aluminium foil and emboss a pattern using a blunt pencil